Guidance for label migrants / relocation

Working and living in the Netherlands
If you come to work and live in the Netherlands, there is a lot to arrange. This site explains what you need to arrange and what agreements you have to make. The information will help you to live and work in the Netherlands and also provides links to the correct organizations to help find your way in the Netherlands.

What you have to arrange:

Registration in the Netherlands

When you arrive in the Netherlands, the first step is to register with the Dutch authorities. When you register, you receive a BSN number, which is important for things like your salary and healthcare. Read about how to register and why it is important.

Are you coming to live and work in the Netherlands temporarily?
If you plan to stay in the Netherlands for less than 4 months, you can be registered in the RNI. RNI stands for ‘registratie niet-ingezetenen’, meaning registration of non-residents. At registration you will be provided with a BSN (‘burgerservicenummer’ or citizen service number).

There are offices at 19 municipalities in the Netherlands for the Registration of Non-residents (RNI), in the following municipalities: Alkmaar, Almelo, Amsterdam, Breda, Den Haag, Doetinchem, Eindhoven, Groningen, Goes, Heerlen, Leeuwarden, Leiden, Nijmegen, Rotterdam, Terneuzen, Utrecht, Venlo, Westland and Zwolle. You will only need a valid identity document for this. The registration is free of charge.

You should register here if you are staying in the Netherlands for less than 4 months.

Please note: you need to make an appointment at one of the 19 desks before you visit these desks for registration. You cannot visit the RNI desk without an appointment.

More information can be found on

Registration should be done within five days of your arrival.  After your registration, you will receive a BSN (citizen service number). This is a unique personal number used to process your personal data. The number is issued only once. You will not be able to take out health insurance or open a bank account without a BSN number.

Are you staying for more than 4 months?
If so, you register as a resident of the Netherlands. You can register in the municipality where you live.

You are given a Citizen Service Number After your registration as a resident or a temporary resident, you will be given a Citizen Service Number (Burgerservicenummer, BSN). You will need this number, for example for:

Please note: If you do stay for more than 4 months, you should notify your municipality of this immediately. You will then become a resident of the Netherlands.

Citizen Service Number (BSN)

After your registration as a resident or a temporary resident, you will be given a Citizen Service Number (Burgerservicenummer, BSN). The BSN is your personal number for contact with the government. The number consists of 9 digits.

You will need this number, for example for:

Please note: if you register too late, you may have to pay a fine. This fine may be up to € 325. For more information, you can call the Government of the Netherlands (Rijksoverheid): 1400 or +31-77-4656767.

More information can be found on:

About one month before departing from the Netherlands, you need to de-register at your local town hall, also free of charge.


DigiD, this is a digital signature we use in the Netherlands for matters that need to be arranged through the internet. It is a secure method of proving your identity. You need a DigiD for many things. You can use DigiD to log onto websites of the government and the healthcare sector. For instance, you can file a tax return. Apply for rent benefit or for healthcare benefit.  Make an appointment in the hospital. Or request a remission of municipal taxes. You can only apply for a DigiD if you are a resident of the Netherlands. You can apply for your DigiD here: You will need a Citizen Service Number (Burgerservicenummer, BSN) for this.

Healthcare Insurance

Taking out healthcare insurance
You must take out Dutch healthcare insurance, even if you already have healthcare insurance in your country of origin. The insurance company will pay all costs of the general practitioner, and part of the costs of medicines and the hospital.

Please note: if you do not take out healthcare insurance, you will be fined. And you will have to pay all medical expenses yourself. For more information, call the Healthcare Insurance Line (Zorgverzekeringslijn): 0800-6464644 or +31-88-9006960. Or check

Current options for heatlcare insurance with documents in several languages:
CZ, Zilveren Kruis and Zorg & Zekerheid: These health insurers offer the option of logging in with a different European DigiD.  HollandZorg ( This health insurer offers documents and information in several languages such as Polish and Romanian, in addition to Dutch and English. Zilveren Kruis (  Zilveren Kruis has a web page where customers are informed in English. The website in English can be found under: Your healthcare insurance – Zilveren Kruis.

Zorg en Zekerheid ( Information also available in English. And some forms in German and Polish such as application forms or authorization forms. Specific information about the insured also in Polish and/or Romanian.

Housing in the Netherlands

Types of Accommodation the Netherlands
The Netherlands offers a range of accommodation, including standalone, semi-detached houses and apartments ranging from small studio units to lager units with multiple bedrooms.  As well as a campsite, in a holiday park, hotel or boarding house especially for labour migrants.

Short Stay Housing
On our website you can find short-and midstay lease for a fixed period from 2 weeks up to 24 months.

Renting accommodations in the Netherlands
When renting accommodation in the Netherlands, international workers should confirm what exactly is included in the rental agreement. To rent accommodations in the Netherlands, international workers may need to provide their employment contract.

Make sure you get a written rental agreement from your landlord. This contract will stipulate all the necessary details, including notice periods and specific property rules, such as if pets are allowed and what the smoking policy is.

The two types of rental agreements in the Netherlands are fixed period rental contracts and indefinite rental contracts. Fixed-period tenancy agreements set a minimum fixed period for rent, on our website you can find Short-and Midstay lease for a fixed period from 2 weeks up to 24 months. Indefinite rental contracts have no set termination date.

Deposits typically vary from one to two months’ rent and are returned when the tenants move out, provided the house in the same state as when it was when they moved in.

Utilities aren’t always included in the rentprice and are usually an additional expence for the tenant. Landlords will be responsible for general maintenance and insurance.

International workers moving into a new place must also check internet connectivity often wifi is already in the place. This will help keep in touch with their friends and family.

Learning Dutch

There are several ways you can learn Dutch. If you come from an EU country, you can possibly take a language course at a Regional Training Centre (ROC). Contact your municipality to look at the options.

Libraries and language centres also often provide opportunities to practise speaking Dutch.

You can use Taalzoeker to find a language centre in your area.

If you prefer to learn Dutch at home, you can visit (available in several languages) or to find out how you can learn Dutch. These online lessons are free.